Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Late Night Thoughts on God

I'm supposed to be studying for a Biochem Test, but instead I'm blogging at 3:00 in the morning. I just finished a chapter and I'm "cleansing my pallete" so to speak.

Anyways, I was just thinking about my boyfriend's friend who is considering getting tested for STDs (because he will bone anything with a heartbeat and tits) and it made me think of all those mislead (to put it nicely) Christians who think that God put AIDs and HPV and teenage mothers on this planet to spite the wicked. This kind of thinking drives me f***ing crazy. I'll admit that in my less enlightened days, these kind of thoughts crossed my mind, but now I realize that it is this kind of mind-set that makes God look like a big douche-bag in the sky. What people fail to remember is that God is love, and that anything that God says is out of love for God's people (I know, the sentence structure is awkward, but I'm still on the fence about the appropriate pronoun, but that's a whole different rabbit hole). God didn't create pain as a punishment sin, God created guidelines to prevent people from getting hurt. God knew, even when there was no earthly knowledge on the subject, that evolution had created some nasty little creatures, and because of this knowledge, God set guidlines to prevent people from getting them (think Old Testament: clean vs. unclean. Consider every rule in the Old Testament. They are all designed to protect us from our own brand of self-destruction. Don't abuse alcohol, don't have promiscuous sex, don't eat pork, these are all behaviors that are self-destructive, just by their vary nature. Some rules in the OT may sound weird, but that is mostly do to misinterpretation and our lack of knowledge of culture at that time.

In short, God is not some heavenly kill-joy, just a concerned, loving mother, who happens to know better than we do.

No comments: